Women in IT (Aug 3). Online freedom of speech (Aug 5th)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 3 02:41:05 UTC 2006

On 8/2/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
whoops - hit "send" too early...

> On 8/2/06, Andrew Hammond <ahammond-swQf4SbcV9C7WVzo/KQ3Mw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > Awww yeah Dorothy, I.T. is going bye bye.
> >
> > Got any numbers to substantiate that? The numbers I've seen say that IT
> > is still growing (albeit slower) in North America, despite off-shoring.
> > This has apparently been driven by the small business sector, especially
> > in geographic areas which are not traditionally tech-sectors. I wonder
> > if that includes Kansas?
>
> The "mature" markets are always ones that are obvious, and, since
> their niches are already filled, they aren't terribly open to
> newcomers.  That's certainly true of the situations in large
> businesses.
>
> Once a large business stabilizes, the opportunities are severely
> limited to outsiders as you have only a few kinds of situations:
>
>  - If you're in an area where jobs are relatively stable, the larger
>    the company, the *less* the proportion of jobs that

... the *less* the proportion of jobs that turn over each year.  In
effect, if it's a stable place, you get to compete for a vanishingly
small number of new positions each year.

The other possibility is to be at one of the EDSes or such (E&Y, KPMG,
D&T, ...) where the route upwards is an absolutely ferocious rat-race
where they have 20% turnover per year because people either leap
towards living for partnership, trying to bill 80h/week to their
clients, or fail, and become part of that 20% turnover.

Big business may be highly visible; that doesn't mean it's all that
wonderful a place to be...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.