Dual core Intel... how hot?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 2 21:10:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:33:11PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> While the numbers do vary somewhat over time plus
> things vary somewhat between AMD and Intel there is
> something that seems to stay constant. Namely, of
> CURRENT generation CPU chips, the cutting edge has
> about 1.5 - 2 times the performance of the trailing
> edge. Yet, the cutting edge chip will be 4 - 8 times
> the price of the trailing edge chip. In other words
> you pay a MASSIVE premium for a fairly modest
> performance boost.

True.  But, we can only buy what's available.  I hear that non Dual Core
will be massively discounted soon, due to overstocking.  At the moment,
my main concern is heat.  I'm already plagued by my harddisk coffee
warmer.  I don't think I can handle CPU toaster.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell