Dual core Intel... how hot?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 2 17:46:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:45:58AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> How hot (temperature wise) does Intel's dual core run, compared to
> Pentium-4 3.0GHz?

Well the temp depends on your cooling system.  The power use also has
something to say though.  So here is what I have managed to find:

Pentium 4 HT 3.0 (northwood) 81.9W Socket 478
Pentium 4 HT 3.0E (prescott) 89.0W Socket 478
Pentium 4 HT 531 (prescott) 84W LGA 775

Dual core:
Smithfield Pentium D:
805,820 95W
830,840 130W
Presler Pentium D:
915,920,925,930,945 95W
940,950,960 130W

Of course the new dual core chips (Core 2 Duo) run in about half that
power, and faster in pretty much everything, making buying anything
based on the pentium 4 rather silly, unless you have a board that
supports upgrading the cpu and can get one of them at the now very
discounted prices.

Right now it looks like when I build a new machine for my farther this
fall, it will be a Core 2 Duo based system.  His previous two machines
have been Athlon based, with a PPro200 and 486 before those.  Have to go
with what is the best after all.  The Pentium 2, 3 and especially 4 were
never considered an option by me.

--
Len Sorensen