Secure Linux Distros

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 2 17:27:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:25:35PM -0400, Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
> I was just visiting http://distrowatch.com/ and noticed that EnGarde
> Secure Linux 3.0.8 was released today. I am always trying to find more
> secure ways of setting up my servers and was wondering if any of you have
> any experience with this distro or perhaps have a high security distro
> you'd recommend.
>
> So far my preference has been to use WhiteBox EL4, but I keep thinking
> that there should be something better.

I recently saw an article that looked at how long it took different
distributions to fix security issues.  The "secure" distributions were
basicaly the slowest, along with the enterprise ones (which of course
have much higher testing standards to go through before releasing the
fix.  Actually RHEL was among the fastest, the others were not).

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci1202417,00.html

Interesting read, whether it is accurate or not.

I am sticking with Debian.

--
Len Sorensen