Linux-friendly PCI dialup modem?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 1 21:15:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 12:16:59PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> An internal modem has a 16550A compatible UART that does 115200.
> A serial port card has a 16550A compatible UART that does 115200.
>
> I fail to see what could possibly make any speed difference between the
> internal and external modem.  Unless the internal modem is very badly
> designed and gets lots of interference from noise in the computer case
> itself, then there should be no difference.

  I find that my 1999 Dell with a USR PCI internal gets 45,300 connect
versus 50,666 for an old external X2 flash-upgraded to v90.  This is
true for linux, and was also true for Windows (The Dell came with 98SE,
my last Windows purchase).

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca