Linux Gigabit NIC

Stephen W. Clarke stephenc-wtWqQT8woy8 at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 1 13:58:33 UTC 2006

Len (and everyone else on this list),

Thanks for your tips, but I think I must be missing something important.
Can you tell me where I went wrong?

Distro: WhiteBox EL4
Kernel: 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL
gcc: 3.4.5

I installed the card.

When I run:
lspci | grep -i ethernet

I get:
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc: Unknown device 4b01 (rev 11)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev
78)

I added:
alias eth1 sk98lin at the end of /etc/modprobe.conf

but when I run:
ifconfig eth1 192.168.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 up

I get:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCGIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFBROADCAST: No such device
eth1: unknown interface: No such device

On boot I get:
eth1 does not appear to be present delaying initialization.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Stephen

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 10:48:25AM -0400, Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
>> Can any of you recommend a Gigabit NIC that will work easily with
>> multiple
>> versions of linux? I'd like to limit the time spent mucking about with
>> drivers. I'm currently using a mix of WhiteBox EL4, CentOS EL4, Fedora
>> Core 4,  Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu 6.06.
>>
>> I've been looking at the D-Link - DGE-530T but mostly because of the
>> price
>> point.
>
> That one should work well.  It uses the marvel yukon / sysconnect chip,
> which is  supported by the sk98lin/skge driver in linux.
>
> I have mainly used the same chip onboard, but never had a problem in the
> last 2 years of using it.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Stephen W. Clarke