Linux audio (pt. 2)

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 30 23:00:56 UTC 2006

phil <phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Apr 30, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Tim Writer wrote:
>
> > I would look into what Rosegarden4's
> > timer requirements are and how they're supported.
>
> According to the error message it pops up, the resolution is, "Please contact
> your Linux distributor for more information."  There are a variety of
> discussions I've read, arguing about a 'correct' setting for the kernel timer
> (100, 250, 864, 1000, 2000), but none of them talk about it as a settable
> option.  On this system, lsmod doesn't show either rtc or genrtc in its list
> and modprobe says "not found" for both.

Yes, they appear to be talking about the kernel HZ value which is a settable
option in 2.6.13 and later. It should be straightforward to build a custom
kernel with HZ=1000. I would use that as it was the previous default.

I'm not familiar with building custom kernels for SUSE. On other RPM based
distros, there's a kernel-source RPM which includes the kernel sources
with any patches applied by the distro. In addition, there's usually a file
in /boot which contains the configuration of the running kernel, something
like /boot/config-2.6.13-1-686. With the kernel-source RPM installed,
building a custom kernel with HZ=1000 should go _something like_ this:

    # cd /usr/src/linux
    # make mrproper
    # cp /boot/config-2.6.13-1-686 .config
    # vi .config
    Change value of kernel HZ variable (I'm unsure of the exact name)
    # make oldconfig
    # make dep
    # make
    # make modules
    # make modules_install
    # cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.13-1custom

Actual paths and versions will be different for your system.

If you're using an initial RAM disk (initrd), you will have to make a new
one.

Finally, modify your Grub or LILO config to boot your custom kernel.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada