Linux audio (pt. 2)

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 30 18:20:59 UTC 2006

phil <phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> This is a long-winded rant; feel free to ignore it.  I don't expect any
> solutions to the various problems mentioned, but letting off a little steam
> and getting my thoughts organized may help my emotional state.  :-)

[snip]

> I installed some packages under SuSE 10, figuring out enough about ALSA,
> jackd, DSSI, and LADSPA to get them working with the motherboard sound card.
> Then came the big moment when I brought up Rosegarden4 and it told me it
> didn't like the 2.6.13 kernel supplied with the distribution because the
> timer resolution was too low.

Could the problem be as simple as needing this:

    dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024

in /etc/sysctl.conf? This is described here:

    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/rtc.html

which is primarily oriented to a 2.4 kernel.

With Debian Sarge on a 2.6 kernel, I've found that the "genrtc" module is
loaded instead of "rtc" and, as a result, the above parameter doesn't
exist. This:

    # modprobe -r genrtc
    # modprobe rtc

will fix it temporarily. I've not looked into how to always load rtc (instead
of genrtc) at boot.

[snip]

> At the moment, the best option I can think of under Linux is to search
> for (or build) an alternate kernel for SuSE 10 that has better timer
> resolution.

I'd be surprised if that's required. I would look into what Rosegarden4's
timer requirements are and how they're supported. Once you know that, you'll
probably find it's not too difficult to make sure you have the appropriate
modules loaded.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada