VNC fails to start

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 30 06:08:37 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org <wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the advice, but it turned out to be a misconfigured router; two
> machines with the same IP...dumb.

Hmmm... if I recall correctly, I once saw a Windows XP machine in my
old school library show a strange balloon notification. it had the
same IP as another machine, and it had automatically switched its IP
to 169.254.something.somethingelse (which IIRC is in the unconfigured
IP address space).

Now you've made me curious about a few things: :-)

1. does Windows always notice all IP collisions, or only sometimes?

2. can the Linux networking stack automatically notice collisions too
and pop up a dialog box notification via DBUS?

3. can cheap home routers bought at Future Shop notice
statically-configured-machine IP address collisions as well and
display a warning on the web interface's Status screen?

Cheers,
Jason