USB stick partition problems

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 30 05:34:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:27:21PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:12:14AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> >   I have some devices that will not run, or are flakey, under uhci_hcd.
> > I've had to rebuild my kernel with ohci_hcd in the kernel, and uhci_hcd
> > as a module that does *NOT* autoload.  I run ohci_hcd (USB 1.1) most of
> > the time.  For big backups to USB2-capable devices, I...
> >
> > modprobe uhci_hcd
> > udevstart
> > < do the backup or whatever >
> > rmmod uhci_hcd
> > udevstart
> >
> >   I know that it looks ugly, but it works.  I think the problem may be
> > that USB 2 drivers won't work with USB 1.1 hardware.
>
> uhci and ohci are two different implementations of usb 1.x, ehci is the
> usb 2.x implementation that every fortunately agreed on.

  AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  Mea culpa, mea culpa.

My one mistake for 2006<g>.  I just went and did what I should've done
before posting the previous message, and went to root, and ran
"make menuconfig" to check...

  ohci_hcd is built into the kernel.
  ehci_hcd is built as a module, and is subject to "modprobe" and "rmmod".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca