HAL's father

Glen Strom gstrom-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 29 00:21:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:31:37 -0400
James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Jamon Camisso wrote:
> > Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> >> I saw this linked over on Boing Boing - an mp3 sample of computer
> >> synthesized speech produced at Bell Laboratories in 1961. When I
> >> heard *what* song they programmed the computer to sing I got
> >> goosebumps!
> >>
> >> http://musicyouwont.blogspot.com/2006/04/hals-father.html
> >>
> >> "Open the pod bay doors HAL..." :-)
> >
> > Great find that. Freakish isn't it? And perfect pitch too.
>
> I wonder if that would get Arthur C. Clarke in trouble with current
> IP laws? --

It turns out that the link between the movie and the original
recording is not an accident. I found this at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:_A_Space_Odyssey_(film):

"Hal's haunting version of the popular song "Daisy Daisy" (Daisy Bell)
was inspired by a computer synthesized arrangement by Max Mathews,
which Arthur C. Clarke had heard in 1962 at the Bell Laboratories
Murray Hill facility when he was coincidentally visiting friend and
colleague John Pierce. At that time, a remarkable speech synthesis
demonstration was being performed by physicist John Larry Kelly, Jr who
created one of the most famous moments in the history of Bell Labs by
using an IBM 704 computer to synthesize speech. Kelly's voice recorder
synthesizer vocoder recreated the song "Daisy Bell", with Max Mathews
providing the musical accompaniment. Arthur C. Clarke was so impressed
that he later told Kubrick to use it in the film."

--
Glen Strom
gstrom-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org