EM64T and linux

Vince Hillier vince-WxfNDWQh5LNIo2TaICnI/Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 23:26:34 UTC 2006

Phillip Qin wrote:

> But all the servers Dell offers use the EM64T. I have no choice. The
> port does say “The port consists of kernels for all AMD 64bit CPUs
> with /AMD64/ extension and all Intel CPUs with /EM64T/ extension, and
> a common 64bit userspace.”

Hi Phillip,

I get hardware from Dell nearly weekly, and I can confirm that they're
still shipping standard Xeons. The Xeon MP is the processor with 64 bit
capabilities.

The Xeon MP is literally a clone of the AMD64 set. Intel duplicated the
instruction set from AMD64, and it's 100% compatible, however, slower ;)
Both generations of the Xeon will run standard 32 bit fine.

If you want 64 bit, go with the opterons. Sun's X4100's are very sexy,
however slightly limited in terms of disk space and raid options.