EM64T and linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 19:25:51 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:31:04PM -0400, Phillip Qin wrote:
> I know I shall post it to debian's user list. But does anyone know whether
> Debian 3.0 woody supports Intel EM64T architecture? I am trying to order a
> server. But Dell only ships Xeon with EM64T architecture.

Woody did not support x86_64, and isn't supported at all anymore.  Sarge
(3.1) has unofficial support (although security does consider it
supported) at amd64.debian.net, and etch will have full official support
for it.  Just look for the amd64 port of debian.

Of course the i386 version runs fine on that machine, it just doesn't
use any of the 64bit features.

Len Sorensen