EM64T and linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 28 17:26:58 UTC 2006

On 4/28/06, Phillip Qin <Phillip.Qin-szgMhqSEIEG+XT7JhA+gdA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I know I shall post it to debian's user list. But does anyone know whether
> Debian 3.0 woody supports Intel EM64T architecture? I am trying to order a
> server. But Dell only ships Xeon with EM64T architecture.

Do you want to run it as a 32 bit system?  Or 64 bit?

If you run in 32 bit mode, then it shouldn't present any particularly
special problems.

It may be more interesting in 64 bit mode, as Debian/AMD-64 has been
released recently...

http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)