Questions about rsync

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 27 19:45:46 UTC 2006

On 4/25/06, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:40:29AM -0400, Daniel Armstrong wrote
>
> > I use rsync to mirror my home directory to an external USB drive. To
> > ensure that deleted files are also removed on your backup drive
> > requires the "--delete" option. For example, to mirror my home
> > directory to my backup drive mounted at "/media/backup" I execute:
> >
> > rsync -av --delete /home/daniel/ /media/backup/daniel/
> >
> > Be careful using the delete option. Before running this command, its
> > good to do a test run using the "-n" option:
> >
> > rsync -avn --delete /home/daniel/ /media/backup/daniel/ | less
> >
> > ...and just page through the output to ensure that rsync is doing what
> > you want it to do. Some things like the cache directory in Firefox you
> > might want to exclude to save time:
>
>   After much banging of head against brick wall, accompanied by a
> certain amount of squishy sounds, I finally got it to do what I want it
> to do.  It seems that while you can specify full pathnames for source
> and destination directories, exclude patterns are chrooted.  E.g.
> "/home/waltdnes/spoolastra/slrnpull/news/" does *NOT* work as an exclude
> pattern, but "spoolastra/slrnpull/news/" does work.  Is this related to
> "use chroot = yes" in rsyncd.conf?  I don't intend to change that line,
> but I did waste quite a bit of time figuring this one out.

Walter,

My condolences .. I have run into the same challenge using the 'exclude'
argument with rsync. The logic behind it at the time was impenetrable -- all
I know is I got it to do what I wanted, albeit with a ridiculously long
command line.

Someday I'll have to have a look at the code that's behind that logic ..
while I'm locked safely in a padded room, of course.

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario