Making Windows partitions user w/r

Lance F. Squire lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 26 18:41:07 UTC 2006

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Lance F. Squire wrote:
>
>> Whats the best way to make Windows partitions user writable in Ubuntu?
>

> Hi Lance. This is actually a function of the filesystem type and its
> mount options.

Thanks, but I should have included more info. My bad.

Ubuntu automounts the partitions at boot. Seem to be owned by root.

They are all VFAT (win 98se)

Have set fstab to make them user mountable/unmountable.

Currently, after boot, my wife has to umount the bartition she wants to
move files to, then remount it, to get user write access. (or open a
text window and 'sodo cp whatever...)

What we would like is the system to come-up with the drives already user
writable.

'sudo' woulden't let me set group/other writable on the /dev/hda#
partitions.

Lance