Network Symbology

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 26 15:49:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Paul Sutton wrote:

> I think the same problem is aparent in electronics,  the US symbol for an AND
> gate is different to that of British Standard,  even though most people use
> the US standards, there is no one world wide agreement on standards,  on
> advantge with the US one is that it saves people from attempting to draw a &
> which is not easy,  really,

It is not so simple. There are actually three systems in use, the US
type, the old Euro style and the new Euro style (IEC/DIN). The latter is
the boxy kind with normed symbols for the control and buffer sections of
chips.

>From the drawing point of view, the old Euro style is the easiest imho.
The US style requires wiggly lines for resistors and lots of neat curves
for gates. These are hard to draw and many old cad packages used to
approximate curves with straight segments, which guaranteed an ugly
appearence. The old Euro style uses boxes or triangles for everything
(even resistors), and is by far the easiest to draw by hand. The new
Euro style is the hardest to draw by hand and requires minutes of poring
over datasheets for each part to get the details right (arrow, half
arrow or circle and as before, to indicate signal direction for each
pin). So nobody really draws the new style Euro schematics without a CAD
package.

Peter