OpenOffice / PDF question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 24 20:02:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 02:47:22PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I've seen PDFs (ie: from the government) that had editable fields.
> For example, where it asked for your name you could click on it and type
> in your name. Once you were done, you printed the PDF with your data (I
> don't think you could re-save the PDF with your data).
>
>   Has anyone done this in OpenOffice 2.0? Is it even possible? I've
> been googling and rtfm'ing to no avail. Thanks!!

I doubt it can do that (yet).  I think right now it just generates PDFs
the way it makes postscript.  The way adobe makes forms and thumbnails
and hyperlinsk and all that involves more complex tools as far as I can
tell.

I don't imagine setting up form fields in openoffice is enough to make
it happen.

scribus seems to do forms somewhat, although not the same way acrobat
does them.

Len Sorensen