Awesome demo of "Municator"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 24 14:44:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:53:26AM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> interesting,
> i'd consider getting one,
> but i am confused about the reference to  400Mhz/800Mhz godson c2 cpu?
> i am assuming its 586 compat. but usually when you see Mhz staged like this,
> its for power vs. battery on a portable. and its not usually 50% between numbers.
> I couldnt see anything on this oddity, and one googl'd report just said it
> was a 800Mhz ...
> my worry is , at 400Mhz it would be to much of a dog.
> My dell is still a 800Mhz and generally usable, but some where between 400Mhz and 800Mhz
> there is a place called -  extreme frustration.
> Be nice to hear that it performs as a true 800Mhz pent 4 would, that would be acceptable,
> but i am not seeing anything explaining the 400/800Mhz spec. :(

Many modern CPUs have frequency changing on the fly based on load.
Saves power and makes less heat as a result.  When they are idle the
slow down.  That said, don't expect any VIA cpu at 800mhz to be anywhere
near the speed of an amd or intel at 800mhz.  They are very different
designs made for very different purposes.

AMD is quite justified in rating their 500MHz geode LX as an 800 because
they compare it to a VIA.  The VIAs are nice cheap low power CPUs
though, although I would rather have a Geode NX or even LX based system
myself to play with.  Those are much harder to find though.

Len Sorensen