anaconda won't proceed

caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 21 14:45:14 UTC 2006

Stephen writes:

> On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:27:18AM -0400 or thereabouts, caitken-Bm8TULXj0r/3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>> Looks like the hardware is okay - Agnula LIve is running. I knew the
>> hardware was okay as I have installed W98 on 3 GB of the hard drive.
>
> That wasn't the point vis-a-vis Windows. It was to see if the Linux
> kernel had any problems with your hardware, as is obviously the case
> with the distro you're attempting to install.

Yes. As it turns out this is going to have to be a dual-boot (with xp) -- I
don't have a choice in that. however, that uncovered something. xp didn't
see the hard drive. The vendor tells me it's an ATA serial drive that xp
doesn't know. Or more properly it's a hard drive the motherboard doesn't
know. He instructed me to get the driver (in a folder called RAID for some
reason) from the ASUS motherboard CD, put it on a floppy and install it at
F6 during xp installation. I did that and xp is happy and installed.

> It's better to stick to a good distro like Debian Stable/Testing. The
> other distros don't often have the quality control that Debian has. It's
> rather famous in this regard.

With all due respect I'll stick with the RH-FC line. I've been using it for
years and run a successful business with two networked FC (2 and 4) boxes.
It's a good fit for me. I've tried hopping to different OSes to solve
problems and it's always caused me more grief than good. I'll do what I
always do and find a solution that works for RH-FC. I've never installed a
driver before installing the OS but it looks like I'll have to learn to do
that. I'll find a driver so that linux recognizes the hard drive. I don't
know how to do that but I'll find out, I guess.

> So, my advice is to try Debian, forget FC or whatever flavour of the
> month you are using or attempting to install.

Ouch! Well, thanks.

Chris

<snip>