popping GFIs [was Re: Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?]

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 20 13:56:13 UTC 2006

> > It has 3 prongs.  If I remember correctly, when I use a "cheater"
> > (leaving ground unconnected), the GFI does not pop.  This is probably
> > not a safety concern since the power connector on the laptop itself
> > appears to have only has two terminals.
>
> If it wasn't a concern, the manufacturer wouldn't have put the 3rd pin
> there.
>
> Using a "cheater" to bypass a grounded plug is illegal.

That depends on your definition of "is"

I'm sure using the cheater breaks the rules that the supply was tested
under.  I personally wouldn't be concerned.... only when plugging into
a GFIC.  In theory, the GFIC could be a three prong ungrounded outlet
anyway :-)

But yeah, manufacturers wouldn't have used a 3-prong outlet if they
didn't have a reason to.

-Mike