Groupware Evaluation

Leah Cunningham leah-L9i2b+zLJ9LIrURfT66hzQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 20 03:24:10 UTC 2006

I was contemplating giving a talk on this as opposed to LDAP, as planned
sometime in the future as I've been doing lots of evaluations, installations,
etc.

Their article is pretty honest about the state of things.  I have mostly
focused my attention on OpenXChange, Zimbra, and Scalix.  Ultimately, I ended
up sticking with OpenXChange.  It is very difficult to install by hand, but
there is some good documentation out there, and many folks have now written
installation scripts that make the installation process quite simple
(especially for CentOS 4.x).  I use it on both SUSE and CentOS platforms.

The biggest win with OpenXChange is that it allows you total freedom on the
back end.  You are not tied to specific versions of anything besides the Java
servelet code base.  You can impliment various LDAP/MTA/IMAP backend
combinations.  That means you can use the OS provided packages and security
updates, unlike Zimbra.  Scalix is closer to this model in that you use the
OS provided packages, but it is not flexible in terms of letting you chose
alternates to it's preferred MTA (sendmail), etc.

I have also tested the Outlook connector, and it works quite well, (there is a
license fee.)

The community is a little hard to find, but is quite responsive once you find
them.  The forums are good, there is an IRC channel, and the wiki, while
ugly, works.

The main downfalls of OX are that it could use some updates to it's legacy
Postgres and LDAP schemas.

Also, imo, it is a bit too dependant on the DB for some of the groupware
features.  However, it does mean that it tends to work even if you back end
servers are missing some features.  The other thing to note is that because
it is legacy, it is, at least proven and in production software.  The
original SUSE OX project was started around 1999, iirc.

Another problem is a lack of nice web based mgt tools.  I've been working on
one that is rails based for OX, and am looking into thee possibility of
virtualmin integration (would work for dovecot IMAP, I think).  However, as I
need domain level admin support, and none of the products I have mentioned
have it, it kind of doesn't matter.  Zimbra provides this feature in their
commercial version, but not the OSS version, which does make it tempting.
Scalix doesn't seem to have the feature yet.

Anywho, there's my 2bits + half a shilling.

Leah

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 22:03, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Here's an interesting summary article of an organization that did some
> evaluations of OSS "groupware" packages...
>
> http://www.itwales.com/997890.htm
>
> It seems quite a mixed bag; a lot of the systems are quite severely
> hindered by the "we may call it OSS, but that version isn't properly
> supportable;  you *actually* want to buy licenses from us if you want
> to use it" problem.
>
> I'm not sure how current it all is, but it seemed consistent with the
> way things were the last I took a look at it...
> --
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linux.html
> "The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
> absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)

Leah Cunningham : d416-585-9971x692 : d416-703-5977 : m416-559-6511
Frauerpower! Co. : www.frauerpower.com : Toronto, ON Canada