popping GFIs [was Re: Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 19 18:52:32 UTC 2006

| From: Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org>

| On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
|
| > I don't know why but my notebook will pop them.  Very annoying.  I
|
| Does it have 3 prongs or 2 ? If it has 3 it may help to change to a power cord
| which has a longer ground prong.

It has 3 prongs.  If I remember correctly, when I use a "cheater"
(leaving ground unconnected), the GFI does not pop.  This is probably
not a safety concern since the power connector on the laptop itself
appears to have only has two terminals.

The poping is sometimes (always?) many minutes after the notebook is
plugged in.

I've not experimented with it much because there are a bunch of
other devices on the same GFI that need to be labouriously reset
whenever the GFI goes off.

I have tried the notebook with other GFIs and it does pop them.

Hmm.  Now that I have a meter, I should figure out how much power the
notebook uses.  (This desktop, with an Athlon 64 3800+ x2 and an
nVidia 7800 GTX, excluding the monitor, seems to take 124W as I type
this; seems rather low to me.)