Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 18 23:39:09 UTC 2006

| From: Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Yeah, those are the devices, GFI(C)s ground fault interrupt
| (circuits).  They make you replace your ungrounded outlets with the
| GFIC if you need to inspect an old house.

We did that in our house.  Voluntarily.  The house was built after
Hurricane Hazel (October 1954).

| The GFIC is a pain in the butt with big motors because the motors
| temporarily unbalance the current by storing the power in momentum.

I don't know why but my notebook will pop them.  Very annoying.  I
wonder if it is because it has power factor correction.  I don't
really know what that is (something to do with why EEs use complex
numbers).  Or why it would trip GFIs (or if it is something else about
my notebook that is bothering them).

The Wikipedia entry explains why these might be used with switchmode
power supplies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction