Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 18 19:41:20 UTC 2006

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| I keep wondering why north america uses metal boxes to put their outlets
| in, when europe uses plastic.  Plastic doesn't conduct power if a wire
| gets close to it.  It also doesn't deform the same way when being
| installed.  Some work I have seen done by electricians building houses
| leaves the box so mangled it becomes very hard to actually put stuff in
| it.

So you are saying that plastic is less plastic than metal.  Hmm.

Intuitively (i.e. perhaps not actually) plastic seems more prone to burning.

As I understand it, and you mentioned this earlier, each transformer
in Europe supports more houses than each transformer in NA.  Normally
broadband-over-electrical-power-cables uses signals that don't cross those
transformers.  So it has been thought that BOEPC was more practical in
Europe.  But still not practical.

I remember that in the .com boom Nortel had a project to use BOEPC in
England, but it was abandoned.

So what is the architecture that is thought to make sense here and
now?  Nodes at each transformer?  Ethernet cable from transformer to
each subscriber from the node?