Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 18 17:43:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:41:33AM -0400, Mike Kallies wrote:
> A British electrical engineer once told me that there are a
> disproportionate number of deaths by 240 volt systems due to
> electrocution.
>
> He then added that there are a disproportionate number of deaths from
> 120 volt systems by fire.
>
> His only conclusion was to learn from both systems and exceed the code
> whenever practical.  E.g. GFICs everywhere you can put them, Arc fault
> wherever you can put them, a couple gauges thicker wire than you'd
> normally use, more spacious device boxes, greater separation of the
> wiring, judicious use of nail guards, etc etc.
>
> Of course he was an EE, not an Electrician.

I keep wondering why north america uses metal boxes to put their outlets
in, when europe uses plastic.  Plastic doesn't conduct power if a wire
gets close to it.  It also doesn't deform the same way when being
installed.  Some work I have seen done by electricians building houses
leaves the box so mangled it becomes very hard to actually put stuff in
it.

Len Sorensen