Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 17 17:23:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 06:10:23AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Broadband over power lines is a very bad idea.  It tends to cause a lot
> of interference to licenced radio services.  The broadband service uses
> the same spectrum as many radio services and since the power lines
> weren't designed to carry those frequencies, they act like antennas.
>
> There are a couple of battles going on in the U.S. about this right now.

What if they only do it where the power lines are underground?

There seems to be a number of places in europe using it without major
complaints about radio interference.  There also doesn't seem to be many
places left in europe with above ground power wires.  They also have the
advantage there, that by running double the voltage, the need a lot less
transformers around (although they are bigger), since you can run a lot
further from the transformer before the voltage drop is significant.
This makes it much cheaper to install the network gear at the
transformer for an area than it is here where we have a transformer
every few hundred meters.

Len Sorensen