Hard Drives, mirroring and SATA

Mon Apr 17 14:13:03 UTC 2006

I think I may have a failing hard drive.  I haven't seen any glitches at
all - everything works great - but I see this in my logwatch report:

 --------------------- Smartd Begin ------------------------

 /dev/hda :
    Prefailure: Seek_Time_Performance (8) changed to 247, 248, 249

 Warnings:
        Warning via mail to $ME at locahost: successful  - 1 Time(s)
        Sending warning via mail to $ME at locahost ...  - 1 Time(s)

 ---------------------- Smartd End -------------------------

So I'm worried.  Should I worry?

The next question is, how do I mirror a hard drive (rather than go
through the hassle of reinstalling)?  Can I do a dd from one drive to
another?  Do I need to do this with a live CD?  Or is it easier to just
reinstall?

Lastly, should I just buy another IDE drive, or should I get an SATA
drive (the difference seems to be about $4 more SATA)?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William