Anyone with Roger's Lite accounts?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 17 10:10:23 UTC 2006

ted leslie wrote:
> go to that link and look at their coverage area ...
> one think for sure with them, is you will be a early adopter and probably
> have to put up with some seriously spotty access!!
>
> There is a bitch'n new internet access coming out soon in
> Toronto and GTA  .. broadband over hydro lines.
> What amazing about it, is it 8Megs ...... 8Megs SYSMETRIC!!! for 5$ cheaper then basic bell adsl price.
> If this makes it out ... man talk about a serious home feed!!!
> It is first being targetted at condo's, and then an spread out to homes on certain
> step-down power grid sectors.
> If it shows up in my neighbourhood, 8Mbits/sec symetric ... thats a no brainer!

Broadband over power lines is a very bad idea.  It tends to cause a lot
of interference to licenced radio services.  The broadband service uses
the same spectrum as many radio services and since the power lines
weren't designed to carry those frequencies, they act like antennas.

There are a couple of battles going on in the U.S. about this right now.