xine on FC3

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 17 02:11:07 UTC 2006

I finally have xine working on Fedora Core 3, but it required a bunch of
RPM files which I found in various nameless, faceless RPM distro sites.

I have had some problems with sound (it would cut out when I stop and
restart a video).

Right now I am watching an AVI-format video called "Computer Networks:
The Heralds of Resource Sharing", copied from a 1970s film made by
ARPANet. Ironically, while this AVI is in a now-obsolete Windows format,
it *only* seems to be playable in Linux. This is not true for AVI files
in general. Normally, Windows Media Player will complain about some
resource not being found, but play it anyway. But Media Player doesn't
even know what this file is.

Right now, a person is drawing a network diagram, and explaining why
IMPs were favoured over direct 50-kilobit connections. Later they will
discuss TIPs and timesharing. The film is a true museum piece, but
everything they say about the impact on society and the quantum leaps in
technological advances appear to hold true today.

Paul King