about patents

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 16 15:23:27 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> An article well worth reading imho:
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/softwarepatents.html

Speaking of patents... There is an article in today's New York Times
about how NTP  - in pursuit of their lawsuit against RIM - buried
information about a fellow named Geoff Goodfellow who had done earlier
work on wireless email. Man, what a bunch of bottomfeeders...

The article is here:

http://tinyurl.com/kxwdr

I'm curious, though, how RIM missed digging up this info themselves.
Considering the money involved, you would think they would have moved
heaven and earth to destroy NTP's patent claims.

Also, the article states that Port 99 is reserved for pushing an
electronic mail message to a wireless pager - I just looked in
/etc/services, and I don't see a mention of this. Is the article
mistaken, or am I missing something?