Will certified e-mail stop spam? (was: unsubscribing... etc)

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 15 20:46:08 UTC 2006

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:

> On April 15, 2006 02:49, Walter Dnes wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 03:43:42PM -0400, wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote

>>> This is absolutely what I don't believe can happen.  I guess
>>> that's just how I see it and will drag my feet the whole way
>>> should anyone decide to implement this system.
>>
>>    What I'm waiting for is somebody getting their computer zombied,
>> and used in a DDOS, or spamblast, and being sued for "contributory
>> negligence" by the victim.  This might scare some sense into
>> people.
>
> Blame the victim. As long as you're throwing around big lawyerly
> sounding phrases like "contributory negligence", why aren't you
> proposing that Microsoft be sued or in some way censured? Could it be

Agree 100%, but they would sue back and win even if they would loose
(see the antitrust case for a precedent). Grandma can afford to pay a
$10 'fine' when she neglected to notice that her computer slowed down a
lot and seems to be thrashing a lot, and ignored this for about a month,
instead of calling her support person. She could have saved the call if
she would have installed a more secure system, like Linux, or kept out
of trouble. The small fee should start make John Q. Public notice that
something is wrong with the way they make decisions about software and
who sets it up in a language they understand, that of dollar and cents.
Unlike the language of futile warnings and polite requests to upgrade
software and install protection, and to have this done by someone who
really knows what he's doing.

After a while word should get around and people should start doing the
right thing before trouble starts, or at least asap. Pavlovian reflex
induced by modern billing methods.

Of course the cost for people who comply in the first place would be
essentially zero (less the deposit, which could be sold as a
refundable 'online fraud insurance fee' - and that's exactly what it
is).

Peter