GNU FDL License vs. Creative Commons

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 14 13:59:36 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience to share in creating non-software
> projects like documentation or media projects such as podcasts in
> which they use a open source license such as the GNU FDL or a Creative
> Commons license, and why they chose one over the other?

I use a few of the CC licenses, depending on the media.  When I work
with images for example, I usually base them on images already under a
CC license.  For original graphic works I mostly use
Attribution-ShareAlike since my visual art skills are limited...  If
someone thinks they can use them commercially, power to 'em.

In audio works[1] I'm a _little_ better so for these, I'm using
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike.  I am more than willing to
provide commercial exemptions (as allowed by CC licenses[2]) -
basically, I'd like to know when/if they're being distributed say in
commercials or videos - a (small) piece of the pie would encourage me
to focus more on audio development.

Although you've specifically request info about non-software projects,
I'd like to point out some of the code that I posted on the GTALUG
wiki.  SAL (a set of Perl modules) "inherited" the FDL license upon
posting it to the wiki[3] and I continued with that license when
uploading the code to CPAN.

My reasoning for this is that perl code is similar in many ways to
HTML.  It's (almost always) distributed as source-only.  Since it's
source, it's also documentation.  More descriptive comments and
cleaner code would increase it's documentation value, but in general I
think the FDL is valid even for code.

- Scott.

[1] I intend to bring CD's containing the code I wish to present on.
Due to the nature of the project, media adds to the overall effect so
it's included with the software.  As a side-note, the included audio
is an "open source album," complete with source code.  The down-side
is that requires proprietary software that AFAIK only runs on windows.

[2] "Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from
the copyright holder"

[3] Can this be overridden with an explicit statement in a wiki entry,
say for licensing code snippets under the GPL?

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

  - John F. Kennedy