gtalug.org wiki and howtos?

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 14 04:31:04 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Would there be any interest/use in a howto section on gtalug.org? I've
> been fiddling with gmail and exim4 today and finally got it (sort of)
> working. There are lots of other howtos for this (and
> postfix/sendmail/gmail) out there, but none are really comprehensive
> i.e. going over mailsever basics and such too. Just wondering if people
> of all skill levels would be willing to contribute to any howto?

The short answer is "go ahead!".

----

The long answer is..

If there's a better place to put such HOWTOs which the local and
global communities could better find and use, then "in theory" it
ought to be found.  However, theory is too slow and the gtalug wiki is
right here and right now.. and for convenience's sake it's great that
it gets used.

There are two ways to go about this.

The easy way is to just create sub-pages from your own user page.
So for me, I would go to [[User:Sy]] and edit the page, creating
[[/gmail and exim4]].  Following this link I could create my notes.
The searchability of the wiki would let this stuff be found relatively
easily.

This system allows any user to create whatever notes they'd like.  I'm
neither concerned about space or bandwidth, unless someone's HOWTO
suddenly explodes in popularity.

However, this fast-and-loose method doesn't make things particularly
organised.  Some would say that wiki's aren't meant to organize
content, but people like me are nuts enough to do it anyways.  This
leads us to the second method.

The second method is to try to create some sort of organized HOWTOs
section on the wiki.  Organizing a wiki is like herding cats.  I find
it both to be great fun but others might not.

This organized section would have to be shaped and re-shaped as new
materials come in.. so that things can stay attractive and navigable.

I'm all for helping out.  I myself write all kinds of notes on
everything I ever touch.  I like that I can easily find my notes later
and re-use the effort.

Just make sure you record dates / version numbers for everything, and
when notes become obsolete don't delete / overwrite them but set them
aside for historical purposes.  Not that my old NeoPlanet notes would
do anyone any good.. but you never know.  ;)

So to sum it up.. it's perfectly ok use the wiki like your own
personal stomping ground.  Just create sub-pages from your own
personal pages.