Will certified e-mail stop spam? (was: unsubscribing... etc)

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 13 00:32:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:17:58 -0400
Jason Spiro got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> > This all actually comes back to the problem I once mentioned: smtp is a
> > mess, a hugest mess on the internet bettween all other communication
> > protocols.
>
> SMTP has problems that make spammers' jobs easier.

M$ by *far* exceeds SMTP in making spammers' jobs easier.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60747,00.html

> But at least some ISPs are experimenting with new anti-spam
> techniques, such as allowing email senders to pay a tiny fee to bypass
> spam filters. Perhaps once enough large e-mail providers adopt this
> technique, the spam problem will be reduced.

Penalizing honest users for the negligence of the idiots at Microsoft and the
criminal behaviour of spammers sounds like something China would come up with,
not a free society. We let insurance companies and banks get away with this,
let's not start with ISP's.

Anyway, any ISP that implements something like this stupidity is just going to
give impetus for others (with brains) to start up operations that don't treat
all their customers as potential criminals, and I'll be the first to sign up.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org