Linux fat/bloated

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 11 14:23:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:54:36PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   There are some people who should not be running any version of linux.
> Gentoo seems to get its fair share.  Gentoo is more powerful because it
> gives the user more control.  E.g. a car with an automatic transmission,
> you can floor the gas pedal, and it'll shift gears for you.  On a manual
> transmission car...
>
>   - if you know what you're doing, you can run circles around an auto-
> transmission vehicle with the same engine.  How many auto-transmission
> cars win races?

That depends how you define "auto-transmission".  Some of the sequential
gearboxes used on race cars need no clutch to change gears, just hitting
buttons, and even that could be automated (it is on many cars that use
sequential gearboxes, at least as an option, ie the Smart has such an
option).

>   - if you don't know what you're doing, you can blow up the engine

Unless the engineers were smart enough to put a governor on it.  I know
my car has one.  And that is not just because it's a manual
transmission.  Of course I never have any reason to go past 2/3 of the
way to red line, since there just isn't much power left past that point.

>   The idiots who insist on "-O9" and "MAKEOPTS=-j16" and stupid unrolling
> are like leadfooted drivers in manual transmission cars, who push the
> pedal to the floor and ignore the red line.

They certainly must like broken in subtle odd ways software.

Len Sorensen