Business case for switching to Linux

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 11 01:52:56 UTC 2006

On 4/10/06, John Van Ostrand <john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It really depends on the system and the administrator. A re-install of a
> complex system that would take days to reconfigure may be more of a
> business hit than the hour to fix it.

The only reason for it to be "acceptable" to get stuck with this is if
you have a totally unmaintainable system that is actually impossible
to reinstall.

If we had such a problem with a database server, you can bet it'll be
*toast*, down to reimaging from scratch.  It's not that hard.

And what you really want with your systems is the ability to rebuild
from scratch, *easily*.  See <http://www.infrastructures.org/>; the
folks in that organization find it unacceptable if they can't rebuild
a server *from scratch* in 20 minutes.

If anything, Linux should be easier than the "traditional Unixes" to
do this with.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)