Linux fat/bloated

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 8 11:46:54 UTC 2006

On Fri Apr 07,2006 02:21:06 PM Colin McGregor wrote:
> This was followed by the 80186 chip (that for several
> reasons tanked in the market)

The 80186 only "tanked" in the consumer market. The various versions
of it were very popular in embedded systems. Intel, AMD (and others?)
made it part of there embedded line of components. It is still being
made today. I would bet that far more '186 based chips have been
produced than '286 and '486 combined. (There are numerous CPU's based
on the '386 still being produced for the embedded market, so it's in
the same boat as the '186.)

The company I work for still makes and sells equipment using the
80186 (and '386, but neither in new designs).

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **