85% languages (was Re:Linux fat/bloated)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 17:50:58 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 07:03:45PM -0400, Sy Ali wrote:
> > > Minor point, but Perl has been around for longer than I care to admit
> > > knowing about.  Certainly much longer than relative newcomers like Ruby,
> > > PHP, python or even TCL.
> >
> > Ruby is a lot older than you realise.  =)
>
> Looks to me like:
> PHP: 1995
> Java: 1995
> Ruby: 1993
> Python: 1991
> Perl: 1987
> TCL: 1968 (hardly a newcomer)
>
> I think TCL is the one I most object to be considered a newcomer, at
> least compared to perl. :)

According to the history of tcl (having it in the .tk TLD is pretty cool :-))
http://www.tcl.tk/about/history.html
work began on Tcl in early 1988.  So it's more or less a contemporary of Perl...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)