Linux fat/bloated

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 15:14:02 UTC 2006

On 4/7/06, wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org <wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Quoting Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>:
> >
> >   Sounds like you're ready for Gentoo.  No dependancy hell, except for
> > some idiotic software that insists on other stuff that you *DON'T* want.
> > And that can be bypassed with a little extra work.  And you get to
> > optimize the executables for *YOUR* cpu.
> >

> Are the benefits of Gentoo all that they are cracked up to be?  I've been
> looking into it for a old computer and don't know if all the in-depth
> configuration I've been hearing about will be worth it.  I suppose my question
> is, is Gentoo a Joe-Linux-user distro or a
> Joe-power-Linux-user-with-years-and-years-of-sysadmin-experiences distro?

Gentoo seems to be an enormous "placebo effect," where people seem to
imagine that compiling things with their fave custom flags makes
things mo betta.

So what it's more for are the people that want Total Control that
thought that Slackware was irritating because it didn't have enough
packages for them.

 http://funroll-loops.org/

The argument there is that Gentoo is a "annoying teenager next door
with a 90hp import sporting a 6 foot tall bolt-on wing."

http://funroll-loops.org/gentoo.jpg

"Gentoo Linux:  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to
serve as a warning to others."
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)