VoIP (was: Proxy websites)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 7 13:42:54 UTC 2006

2006/4/7, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org>:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Jason Spiro wrote:
>
> I think that Isen did not know about economies of scale and
> maintainabbility over 20 years. A small PX that serves 10,000 people
> fits in a single small room, can be upgraded in software to support
> 3-way calls and anything you like, and all the parts that go poof when
> lightning strikes anywhere within 2-3km, are in that room. The
> equipment, once laid out, can be expected to last 20 years of continuous
> use, with some minor maintenance.
>
> Of course none of this is good for data services, but there is *nothing*
> wrong with the way a normal telco operates (and has been for almost 100
> years now).

Hmm, that makes sense, I guess PBX's are very cheap and very reliable
when you think of the TCO.

But how about for Bell Canada?

Would you not agree that a large part of telcos' profit comes from
added-value features like call waiting, 3-way calling, etc. and
collect calls and other overpriced long distance services especially?

And that it is much more difficult to add more added-value features to
the telephone network than to a VoIP protocol?