Linux fat/bloated

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 6 20:50:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Actually I think you are entirely wrong.  Linux is so efficient at the
> use of memory for shared objects that it only loads one copy no matter
> how many programs and users are using it.

Precisely.

(I've been tempted to make several follow-ups to Lennart in this thread
saying "me too" :)

The argument that "we should cut down diversity" has been applied to the
GUIs on X as well in recent years.

Not only won't this work (in open source we have no way of enforcing any
sort of computer use) there is simply no need for it.  Many seem to forget
that the desktop/window manager can be set on a per user basis.  I use
fvwm2 everywhere.  In doing so I am not placing any restrictions on other
people who are using the box at the same time as I am.

The idea that all computers should use the same GUI so that users can
understand the environment when they sit down is specious to me.  We
should be encouraging everyone to use their environment on whatever box
they happen to be on.  Then their _exact_ environment will be available to
them.  We should be discouraging people just "sitting down" at an open
terminal (logged in as someone else) in the first place.  This especially
applies to the work place where too often accounts are left open for
others to use.  If no one users others accounts then understanding how the
account is setup becomes irrelevant.

I took this topic from scripting languages to GUIs but I think the point
is made: diversity is not a bad thing[1].  Trying to stiffle diversity in
any manner, even if it's just the scripting language I can use to solve a
problem, scares me a lot.

As Len mentions, copy-on-write paging (allowing apps to reuse memory even
among different users) is a powerful thing in the OS.  It really comes
into its own on multi-user boxes.  The amount of memory that gets reused
is often amazing.

[1] I happen to think diversity is a good thing in the non-computer world
too :)  My wife and I come from different cultures and we've adopted
aspects of other cultures in to our daily life.  Eg, we eat kimchi several
times per week despite the fact neither of us has any Korean heritage.
The modern world offers the ability to pick and choose the parts of other
cultures that you like and just adopt them.  Ok, I've digressed enough :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073