voip in Canada

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 14:40:56 UTC 2006

On 4/5/06, Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have been reading about this:
>
> http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060404.wvoipp0404/BNStory/Technology/home
>
> and I would like to know what the real real situation is, among Linux
> users. I am an Asterisk user and part time developer (i.e. I write
> small patches that solve my problems). Of course I am asking from the
> Linux point of view.

Myself and some coworkers have been using dedicated hardware to get
VoIP service.  One fellow I know uses it to get a 416 area code from
Barrie, another from Oshawa.  There's no PC involved, just a D-link
box hanging off your DSL or Cable.

The downside is that my 3web service went down, and their lousy tech
support means I'll have to spend an hour pay-per-minute on my cell so
as to get my phoneline back.

So far, I'm not impressed with either service.  The VoIP has been of
unreliable quality and 3web has offered terrible service.  I'll
probably call Rogers today to see what they can do.  I'm sure their
service is equally terrible, and more expensive, but maybe they can
get the line running again.

-Mike