Linux fat/bloated

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 5 08:01:07 UTC 2006

> cause... too damn many people trying to re-invent perl.  Perl is bad
> enough itself; it's on OK operating system, but it lacks a lightweight
> scripting language.  However, there seem to be a bunch of perl-clones

Imho Perl is not so bad but I wish they had not obfuscated the manpages

Anyway shipping a Linux distro with 2,500 applications preinstalled
requires four nines for zero bugs. Also the dependency tree is at least
three deep for most applications. Unless something will be done about
this soon (esp. dependencies) bad things will start happening. A 3-deep
dependency tree is not sustainable imho. Maybe partially precompiled
libraries can reduce the depth of the dependency tree.

Peter