Linux World Updates

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 4 23:36:15 UTC 2006

> >All the official CLUE mailings that come to me are from Bill Trayner.
> >

> Yes, Bill is still deeply involved, but he's not the only one there.
> Perhaps if people spent less time asking "who the hell are you?" and
> more time looking for opportunities to serve the community, we'd all be
> better off. Even if I didn't represent any group, is GTALUG too busy to
> provide an audience to a longtime community member with a concrete idea
> to increase its membership?
>
> OTOH, if GTALUG can't separate the personal from the professional, and
> having someone else from CLUE make the proposal will move this forward
> faster, just say so. It's too much to ask Bill to come in from Kitchener
> to address the Board, but I can ask Matt to take my place if that will help.
>
> >There is no minefield. GTALUG has as its mandate to promote local groups, to develop local relations, and to run several meetings. You are asking GTALUG to expand its scope to include provincial and national issues.
> >

> The Board of GTALUG doesn't even know what I'm asking because it hasn't
> given me the opportunity. I am not asking anyone to exceed their
> mandate, what I'm proposing is a concept well understood by the other
> groups who are working with us.

You have had three different opportunities to explain enough to three different board members. Each of them at the end of your conversation with you felt that the issue can be tabled until after Linux World. I wasn't privy to the individual conversation but I was at the board meeting afterwards where everyone of them agreed it can wait. If your plans are hinged on Linux World, you made no attempt to make them believe this.

> >The point though is you are asking directly for help from GTALUG
> >
> The Board of GTALUG don't _know_ what I'm asking for because I haven't
> been given the chance to ask. Before you can refuse something you need
> to know what you're refusing.

I don't believe anything has been refused. The simple matter is that you didn't impress the board members enough to believe that you had a workable plan, or that your plan had some kind on time limit.

> I again request the opportunity to address the Board of GTALUG, either
> at a meeting or in offline email. If I am given the chance to speak I
> believe the Board will find my proposal to have value. If it will help
> for someone else from CLUE to do this, that's OK too.

You know if you are seriously looking for a meeting, you can simply convince Herb that your plan is worth pursuing. He can call a board meeting at the drop of a hat. Convincing me is pretty much useless, since I have at best an advisory role on the board. I have no vote but I'm invited, most likely to maintain a level of continuity since I seem to be the only one left that has knowledge of the idiosyncarcies of many things we have done in the past.

Bill