Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 3 20:23:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> How then does a company like Apple or Microsoft successfully market a
> product? When was the last time a marketing campaign launched by either of
> the two companies relied on being openly political? When was the last time
> that you saw a television or magazine ad that highlighted the "political"
> dynamics of the development or marketing teams? Your definition of politics
> doesn't change the fact that marketing a product is far easier if there is no
> tinge of the "political" involved. Of course, it's not impossible, but on the
> whole, and in the most general sense I can possibly muster in these few
> words, I pronounce it to be extremely difficult or unlikely to be successful.
> That being said, I can imagine those few successes would be of most
> magnificent proportions.

Openly political marketing campaigns exist when the potential buyers
cannot understand the technical merits and/or are not to understand the
technical merits, and/or are fed up with numbers and graphs. FUD is
politics. A professionally done comparison between operating systems,
with uptime, footprint, coo evaluations and stress and security testing
will cause the eyes of most readers to glaze over after the first 3
pages out of 50+. So marketing and advertising for the masses is and
will remain politics. It can be FUD, it can be appeal to basic instincts
(pictures of good food, nice ladies, happy workers), it can be a lot of
things. But a merit-based comparison using canonicalized metrics and
scientifically done it will not be. Ever.

So I think that what must be done, it to first understand that the
annoying little ms videos played before some free video clips from the
internet, which spread FUD about Linux coo and security and integration
cost, without saying a word about ms server excepting 'maybe turning
back to it' while giving up on linux, are FUD, are politics, and are 'ad
pinguinem' attacks in the best election campaign smear/lawyer talk
pattern, complete with the noisy 70's stick-shifting car and Indian
(subcontinent) scenery, and insinuating nasal speaker voice and the
royal 'we' tense used by him.

So, in the context of this list 'not engaging in ms bashing', one should
verify whether this position is valid. FUD and politics are here to
stay. I did not make the rules of this game, but I play to stay in the
game, and maybe to win. One of the names of the game is FUD and
smearing. Sorry about that.

Peter