Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 3 15:42:56 UTC 2006

Christopher Browne wrote:
> An attempt to found a Canadian FSF would founder almost certainly as
> there isn't anyone with a comparable level of monomania that would be
> the clear authority.  Regionalism would further fragment this, as
> there is no satisfactory place to found the organization.  Why
> shouldn't someone in Calgary start another foundation that represents
> them?  Ditto for Montreal.

Perhaps the foundational approach is not the way to go then. Perhaps
treating Linux as a product like any other, marketing it as such to
consumers/businesses would be the better approach. Anything tinged with
ideology (whatever that is) or political rhetoric automatically tunes
people out -- but products, not so much. As users, developers, and
advocates, we should in the marketing business, not in the now well
established technical support business, or political arena (more on this
in a moment). Not that there isn't a place for either, just that at the
moment I'd say (and am for that matter) that energy should be directed
at getting people to take notice outside of the aforementioned areas.

>> We have, on this list, some of the smartest people anywhere. It would
>> be a shame if we couldn't harness that group intelligence to do some
>> good for our society.

Intelligence or cleverness, which is more important to convincing
someone to consider Linux? For that matter, just getting people to
understand *what* Linux is would be a huge task but would probably do
more good than any amount of politicking or mega/monomaniacal ravings or
vision.

> The trouble is that politics is HARD...

And essentially meaningless empty rhetoric directed at making it appear
that governments are engaged in something other than hiding the fact
that they are trying to hide from the public who originally gave them
their mandate. Politics is not the avenue *yet*. Someday it will be, but
right now, people don't even know what Linux is. They've heard the name
for sure -- there is a huge amount of curiosity out there -- it's just a
matter of getting people's attention *without* resorting to politics.

Jamon