YUM Error

John Moniz john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 3 01:31:49 UTC 2006

Jamon Camisso wrote:

> Tom Watts wrote:
>
>>> Hi and thanks for the suggestions.
>>>
>>> There are no .rpmsave files in the yum.repos.d directory. I also
>>> made sure that all repositories listed are set to enabled. They are
>>> exacty the same as the repositories on my other system, which does
>>> work. I also did a 'yum clean all'
>>>
>>> As per Tom W.'s suggestion to make sure that the baseurl exists,
>>> here's what I think is the baseurl that is causing the problem.
>>> There may be others, but it doesn't get passed this one:
>>> #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>>>
>>> And here is the mirror site listed:
>>> mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
>>>

>>> What would be the command that would return the value for
>>> '$releasever' and '$basearch' so I can check whether it makes sense?
>>> I can access the following site, which I would think is the right one:
>>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
>>>
>>> I also changed the baseurl line to the above - no luck.
>>>
>>> Is it possible that, even though I am able to access the internet,
>>> yum isn't?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> John.
>>

>> Did you remove the # from the baseurl line?  # comments that line,
>> thus ignoring the value of that baseurl...at least to my knowledge,
>> that's what it does.
>>
>> Also, I think you're safe to assume that $releasever and $basearch
>> are returning the correct values.  If you're not comfortable with
>> that, by all means, it's safe to just put those values in yourself.
>>
>> Other than uncommenting that line, I'm not sure what else to suggest.
>> Maybe copy the yum.repos.d directory from the machines that work?
>

> Changing the $releasever and $basearch worked for me when upgrading
> from FC5 beta 3 to FC5. I think I just browsed the ftp mirror and
> copied the path directly into the relevant files.
>
> Tom's idea of copying the directory from your working machine sounds
> like a great one.
>
> Jamon

I searched several times for an alternate to
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/
and can't find one (tried ftp also). I also copied the repo directory
from my working system and that made no change at all.

I think I'm left with re-installing FC4 from scratch. What a pain!!! If
that doesn't work, I'll be switching distros.

Thanks for the advice.

John.