Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Joseph Kubik shrike-3aB5TwEFUAhAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 23:12:09 UTC 2006

Same subject, but another thought on it:
Why does it matter what software brand our government uses?
Sometimes it does, and sometimes it does not.
1. The government in power holds the responsibility to use the money we send
the as effeciently as possible. Our job is to police them better and not let
the money we earned so hard go to waste.
2. If someone at the government sends you a document you cannot open because
it's in a proprietary format, I think you are within your right to require
they re-send it in an open format, or the government needs to provide each
person a license for the format.

Why does it matter what OS some other company chooses? It probably doesn't
most of the time.
However, I'm all for billing people that send me virus and spam. If I ran an
ISP I would be very strict about such things, and would monitor for virus
type activity very carefully.

I do know some contractors who only provide Linux based services. They seem to
be doing just fine here in TO and there is plenty of business. So, this area
still isn't doing too badly.

-Joseph-