Question for TLUGgers: How can Canada take a leading role in FOSS?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 2 18:04:55 UTC 2006

William Park wrote:

>How come we never hear about companies using Linux?  Is there something
>about the marketplace which givem them disadventage?

Vendors such as IBM do publish success stories. However, the reality is
that most companies don't care to call attention to themselves in areas
that are not related to their core business. You don't hear about what
brand of vehicles FedEx chooses for its fleet even though that is
extremely important information in some sectors.

CN is a railroad, not an IT company. They stand very little to gain from
publicity about their choice of Linux, unless they have a deliberate
interest in being seen as an innovator. (And, thanks to the growth of
open source, these days using Linux is not the "innovation" it used to
be :-) )

The community needs to take the initiative to identify these users. If
anyone is interested in helping collect Canadian open source success
stories, let me know. There are certainly ways to publicize this.

- Evan